A magnificent triptych, depicting the life of St. Peter, graces the east wall behind the altar. Its panels, three-dimensional carvings and Renaissance-style paintings, portray scenes in the life of St. Peter, interspersed with flora and fauna of Long Beach Island.
This exquisite work of art was created around 1957 by the late Lewis Carr of Barnegat Light, a consummate craftsman, who excelled in a variety of media. He was commissioned by Diocesan Bishop Alfred Banyard to paint the triptych and execute its carvings for the reopening of St. Peter’s Church.
The gold-stenciled designs of the cross and the keys to the Kingdom are symbols of St. Peter. The two side panels illustrate scenes from the life of St. Peter. Note that Mr. Carr has incorporated various images of local interest, including the lighthouse, St. Peter's Church, as well as the island flora and fauna, seagulls and shells. The center panel features our Lord as Christ Triumphant ~ Christ the King. The Lord is garbed in a green chasuble, representing everlasting life, woven with a pomegranate design - a symbol of Resurrection; the red lining notes his sacrifice. In the Lord's hand is the chalice and host, representing the Body and Blood. Surrounding the throne of God are four Archangels.
Mr. Carr painted the sanctuary red to represent the throne of God, with a blue ceiling to represent Heaven, setting it apart from the Nave which represents earth.